Pages

Monday, November 13, 2006

Friends.., beware...

I've recently been getting lots of invitations from online friendship communites such as Tagged., Gazzag., Multiply etc. Funny that my friends don't seem to remember sending me an invitation. I wonder why..... U know why ? Coz they didnt !

Everytime I try to be a nice friend and accept the invitation from one of such communities., wat do I see ? They want my yahoo ID and password ! How silly is that !? I mean... C'moooon !! I never gave my yahoo password to even my best friend., y the hell would I give it to some new community ? N wat I don't get it is there are ppl who do that., give away that secret important info ! THAT's UR DAMN EMAIL AND PASSWORD !!! Can u imagine them looking into ur mails and monitor ur chat? I'm not saying they do., but they could if they wanted to., coz U let them into ur house !

For now., i think they simply are getting emails of friends from either the yahoo messenger or address book or emails and forwarding everybody their invitations on behalf of you. Very sweet of them, isn't it ? Obviously not coz we still don't know what other 'favours' they're doing with our secret information and the emails of our friends.

Here are a few personal tips from me:

* If you get an invitation without ur friend remembering sending u one., better stay away from it. Best choice would be to check that mail and hit the delete button. U n ur friend will still be in touch, so worry not.
* Any community or site that needs you to register with ur email ID as ur main ID for that particular site., make sure that u give a password that is different from that of ur email.
* Choose ur online community wisely. First of all u don't need to be in one. Even if u want to., chose one that's already popular and is known to be free of spam ( from the community itself ).
* After u get into a community be very careful with how much of ur personal profile or information u wish to share with ur friends or even with the whole wide world. Never be in denial that nothing wrong could ever happen to u. It just could.

After all that said, my friends, I hope that this post leaves u all wiser, safer and happier. Njoy ur life !

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

100% true bhai...me tho really fed up with these kinda communities. thers no point in adding loads o frnds jus to inc the count..,who dont evn scrap or buzz. I feel maintaining 10 good grnds is lot betr than maintaing 100's. I am happy tht ur setting up right expectations with these kinda posts..cheers!!!

Hell's Angel said...

hmm..ya partially wat u say is true.. whether i manage join the comm or not..i dont think ill have time to really look into all these..one need to be little cautious..true!!!

Haritha said...

dude, its good u gave a warning, but multiply is a really good site and they are better than anyother links. u can upload good amount of stuff, and the point is they dont ask for password and other such bull that gazzag asks for. multiply is way above all such petty marketing strats. u may wonder why i advocate so much. simple, i use it, and none of my frnds know about it (read: they dint recieve random bulk invites). also try advising ppl against the flood of frnd networks that are coming up. they are major pain only. as if orkut isnt enough by itself.

fyi, something that can be passed on... http://www.oreillynet.com/xml/blog/2006/11/gazzagcom_is_my_new_enemy.html

cheers.